Sunday, August 4, 2013

Dog Days of Summer

For a few years now my husband and I have talked about getting a dog. Sometimes we would start looking and then decide no, we're just not ready yet and then put it on the back burner. Recently, however, we decided we were finally ready to take the leap. Our children are older and more mature. They have interacted with a variety of animals in many different settings so I am confident of their ability to handle the upcoming addition to our family. Once we made the decision I excitedly got on petfinder to see what possibilities were out there. Although we love dogs of all sorts we did have some very specific things we were looking for.

First off, we live in an apartment so they would need to be small. Second, our boys are still young and we want them to have the opportunity of growing up with one dog instead of getting a bunch of old ones that will pass on every few years, so they need to be young. Because I work full time and William is in and out of the house at all times of the day, we really needed a pet who could handle being home without us for a couple hours at a time and was crate trained. Next we obviously wanted it to be house trained. I also thought it would be a great idea to have a dog who had lots of energy because it was going to have to keep up with the boys and not only that would have to love kids. Finally, I really really want a running buddy so not only does it need to have energy but it needs to be active!

I got on petfinder knowing that the odds of finding a dog that fit every single one of our criteria was going to be next to impossible. I figured I could find one that was close and we could train from there. I typed in our preferred breed (did I mention we had one of those too) and there she was...our doggy soul mate. I can't even begin to tell you how lucky we got! It was like I personally wrote her description.

"Hi I’m Kona, a JRT/Boston Terrier/Pit Bull Mix! I’m lots of dog rolled up in one cute little package. I love to snuggle and spend time with you and pay attention to you best when I’ve had my exercise. Of course, that’s only because I’ve got lots of terrier energy and need to burn some of it off so I can give you my full attention. I’m crate trained, sweet and playful. I’m good with kids and even get along ok with other dogs. If you’re looking for someone to cuddle up with please consider me. I am 1 1/2 years old and weigh 27#."

Holy cow batman!!! She's perfect! And the pictures they posted of her just made my heart melt. Needless to say I filled out an adoption application immediately and sent it off. It took a while to hear back because she was being offered through a placement agency but after a week I got a message saying we were approved! Sometime towards the end of this week we will finally get to meet her in person. Her current handlers are out of town. I understand that its not completely final yet. We have to feel shes a good fit for us and her owners have to agree. I am nervous that there is a chance it wont work out but on the other hand I am confident it will. In preparation for her homecoming we went out and bought her some fun stuff to make our home more welcoming. Even if things don't work out we will at least be prepared to bring another dog into the home. But I really want her so I'm trying not to think of that now. 






Hopefully the end of the week will roll around and we will go and meet her and bring her home with us! Until then I am sitting here, being hands down the most impatient human being imaginable. I have been waiting a long time for this and am finally excited to have the opportunity! Here's hoping we can call her ours! 


Rachel B.

No comments:

Post a Comment